B-1 Visa

Your Content Goes HereLorem ipsum dolor site amet, consectetur adipiscing elite, Nunc Maximus, nulla ut commodo sagittis, sapien.

What Is B-1 Visa?

A B-1 Visa is a Nonimmigrant visa issued by USCIS to foreign nationals entering the U.S. for certain business activities. The State Department has enumerated some legitimate activities for business visitors to the United States.You may be eligible for a B-1 visa if you will be participating in business activities of a commercial or professional nature in the United States, including, but not limited to-

  • Consulting with business associates
  • Traveling for a scientific, educational, professional, or business convention, or a conference on specific dates
  • Settling an estate
  • Negotiating a contract
  • Participating in short-term training
  • Transiting through the United States: certain persons may transit the United States with a B-1 visa
  • Deadheading: certain air crewmen may enter the United States as deadhead crew with a B-1 visa

Our immigration lawyers can help you get clarity on the eligible activities that fall under the B-1 classification.

B-1 Status Eligibility

You must demonstrate the following in order to be eligible for a B-1 visa:

  • The purpose of your trip is to enter the U.S. for a business of a legitimate nature.
  • Your intention to remain for a specific time
  • You have sufficient funds to cover the expenses of the trip and your stay in the U.S.
  • You have a residence outside the U.S. that you have no intention of abandoning, as well as other binding ties that will ensure your return abroad at the end of the visit.
  • You are otherwise admissible to the United States.

In case you have any doubts about any of the eligibility requirements, the Law Office Of Prashanthi Reddy can help you out.

Period Of Stay/Extension Of Stay

Initial period of stay – 1 to 6 months.

Extension – Up to 6 months; the maximum total amount of time permitted in B-1 status on any one trip is generally 1 year.

An immigration official must approve your admittance to the United States at the port of entry. If you meet the requirements for admission, you may be admitted for as long as you need to carry out your business activities, up to a maximum of 6 months, and you can then file an extension for 6 months.You must file Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status, and submit any needed supporting papers to USCIS if you want to stay longer than the time indicated on your Form I-94 without leaving the country.

Family of B-1 Visa Holders

A dependent visa is not available for your spouse or children. Each of your dependents who will be accompanying or following you must apply for a B-2 visa separately and adhere to the visa’s rules.

The Law Offices of Prashanthi Reddy, PLLC

Prashanthi Reddy


Talk to a Our Immigration Attorney & Lawyer

Get a Consultation

Other Type Of Travel Visa

Prepare Your B-1 Documents

After you’ve arranged the appointment for an interview, you are required to get the necessary paperwork. The following documents are normally required a B-1 business visa:

  • The Form DS-160 confirmation page and code
  • Your valid passport. You must have a valid passport for at least six months beyond your anticipated stay in the United States.
  • Details of your social media accounts. A list of your social media accounts, along with the names of your accounts on each.
  • The interview confirmation page
  • A photo that meets the visa photo standards in the United States
  • A letter outlining the objective of your visit
  • Financial or bank statements demonstrating your financial ability to remain in the United States
  • Family ties, job contracts, leases, or property deeds that prove you will return to your home country.
  • Criminal records or letters from authorities stating that you do not have prior convictions
  • If you’ve been to the United States in the past, you should carry any documents from those trips.
  • If you work, bring a letter from your employer and payslips for the last three months.

A letter from your employer outlining the purpose of the trip and your job role

B-1 Nonimmigrant Visitors for Business Who Are Personal/Domestic Servants or Employees of Foreign Airlines

There are certain personal or domestic servants accompanying individuals in a B, E, F, H, I, J, L, or T.N. nonimmigrant classification, personal or domestic servants of U.S. citizens who have a permanent home or are stationed in a foreign country, as well as certain employees of foreign airlines. They may be eligible for B-1 nonimmigrant status if their activities in the United States are in connection with their foreign employment. For purposes of the B-1 classification, such activities are not considered to be prohibited local “employment” or “labor for hire” within the United States.

While such B-1 nonimmigrants are not required to get an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) from USCIS prior to engaging in their permitted B-1 activities, they may do so by submitting Form I-765. However, if such persons engage in activities outside their B-1 nonimmigrant status, such as working for another employer in the United States, they will be found to have violated their B-1 nonimmigrant status. They also may not remain in the United States for longer than the authorized period of stay in B-1 nonimmigrant status.

Considering the complexities of the B-1 visa application process, foreign nationals should consider getting assistance from experienced immigration attorneys at the Law Offices of Prashanthi Reddy, PLLC. We can anticipate possible complications and give relevant advice at the right time.

Reach out to the Law Offices of Prashanthi Reddy, PLLC, at prashanthi@reddyesq.com or call us at 212-354-1010.


Let’s talk and discuss

Book Consultation


Call us (212) 354-1010