Work Visa

Student Visas

We are aware of various issues faced by international students starting from SEVIS; over the years, the firm has been very proactive in helping fulfil their American dream.

What Is Student Visa ?

International students who intend to pursue a doctoral, bachelor’s, or master’s degree in the United States should apply for a student visa. The type of student visa you need depends on the course you choose and the school you plan to attend.Students who wish to pursue a course in the United States can apply for the following nonimmigrant visa categories.

The critical premise based on which USCIS issues a student visa, and the applicant needs to support the same with the relevant document are :

  1. The applicant must have a good source of funds to help them during the stay without engaging in employment.
  2. applicant should maintain the intention to keep the foreign domicile and leave the US after study completion.

Different types of student visa

Students who wish to pursue a course in the United States can apply for the following nonimmigrant visa categories-

Who can apply for a student visa?

To be considered as an eligible candidate for a student visa-

  • You must be enrolled in an “academic,” “language-training,” or “vocational” educational program.
  • Your school should be approved by Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s Student and Exchange Visitors Program.
  • You must be a full-time student in a college or a university.
  • You must be fluent in English or enrolled in English language studies to qualify.
  • You should have sufficient financial backing to cover all expenses during your study.
  • You must maintain a place of residency outside of the United States that you do not intend to abandon.
Immigration law Firm NYC

Firm’s different achievements


Clients served

 Corporates and Individuals

Top 10

Immigration law firms

In Newyork and Adjoining areas



 Among all served clients

How to apply for a US student visa?

Applying for a student visa in the US is a 6-step process.

  1. Fill up the Form I-20, which will be provided to you from your college.
  2. Pay the SEVIS fee. After obtaining the receipt of it, apply for the DS-160 visa form, available on the internet.
  3. Pay the visa fee via authorized Citibank or Axis bank branch or through NEFT.
  4. Schedule an Interview and Biometric appointment
  5. Get your photograph clicked and your fingerprints scanned for the Biometric appointment.
  6. You will then go through a round of personal interviews and also be asked about your finances, college, course, and other details.

After passing these stages, you will be granted a student visa to the USA.

Immigration Lawyer New York

How can we help with your student visa?

As you can see, provisions and documentation requirements for student visas can be hard to understand. Hence, it’s in your best interest to seek assistance from an experienced immigration attorney like the Law Offices of Prashanthi Reddy, PLLC.

Since its inception, the Law Offices of Prashanthi Reddy, PLLC, an NYC-based immigration law practice, has helped many foreign nationalists pursue their higher education in the United States.

Point of contact
Our Newyork office :
🌏 505 Eighth Avenue, Suite 1402, New York, NY 10018
☎ (212 ) 354-1010 / 107

Have questions about work visa-related issues, file for a new visa or Want To read Latest Immigration News About Student Visa ,look for some specific advice; drop the necessary information, and we will get back.

Thank you for your message. It has been sent.
There was an error trying to send your message. Please try again later.
Curabitur elementum cursus nulla.

Other Visa Related Services

The firm’s 15 years of experience providing immigration-related legal services makes it an apt partner for all your immigration needs.

Work Visa
Travel Visa
Invester Visa
Green Card
Citizenship & Naturalization
The Law Offices of Prashanthi Reddy, PLLC

Prashanthi Reddy


Talk to an Attorney

Get a Consultation


The process of getting a US student visa starts with a SEVP ( Student and Exchange visitor program ) accredited US school/ university accepting your application. Most schools allow application submission during December and January, and they send admission notifications in March and April. Once the application acceptance is over, the student should receive Form I-20 or DS-2019, depending on the student visa type, followed by payment of the I-901 SEVIS fee, which would kickstart the visa application process. 

Now the student can start filing an online application for a US student visa, also known as Form D-160, with relevant documents.

The maximum period for which a student visa is for the duration that they remain a student and maintain their status as a full time student.

Technically there is no concept of a sponsor on a US student visa. The applicant student has to prove that they can afford tuition and living expenses in the US during the study at the time of application. The definition of the sponsor here is a financial sponsor, which can be in the form of grants or support from government organizations or private companies or by an immediate family member who is a US citizen.

The visa application fee for a US student visa is $160 irrespective of country of origin and where one applies. Still, there is an additional fee called the I-901 SERVIS fee, which one must pay before the application process and which is $350 for F1/M1 students and $220 for J-students.

If a student is away from their classes or is out of status for five months, they fall under a five-month rule leading to termination or deletion of student records from SEVIS ( Student and Exchange Visitor Information System ). In a scenario like this, if the student wants to return to the US, they need to obtain Form I-20 / DS 2019 from the school and repay the SEVIS I-901 fee to reactivate the SEVIS ID.

Getting a US student visa is not that difficult compared to other visa types, but one needs to diligently follow the process and submit all required documents on time to get the visa accepted.

Yes, if a person is in the U.S. as a tourist ( on a B-2 tourist visa ), they can request a change of status to an F1 student by submitting a request with USCIS (U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services )

The answer to this question is Yes, but the same comes with some restrictions. They can work on-campus for upto 20 hours a week or full time off campus if you have been granted OPT or CPT.