B-2 Visa

B2 Visa For Parents

What is B2 Visa ?

The B-2 category includes tourists, persons on shopping trips, and visiting friends or relatives in the U.S. It also includes persons coming to the U.S. to seek medical attention and persons coming to conferences or conventions unrelated to business. Less often, it covers family members of foreign nationals who are crewmen or belong to the armed services. Household members of nonimmigrants who do not qualify for derivative status in other categories (such as an L-1 intracompany transferee’s domestic partner or an H1-B nonimmigrant’s elderly parent) can also use B2 visa for Parents entry into the U.S.

A cohabiting partner, for instance, is eligible for derivative status only if the relationship is recognized under law as being fully equivalent in all respects to traditional legal marriage and grants the parties all the same rights and duties as a traditional marriage. If the relationship fails to meet this standard, the partner (including a same-sex partner) may utilize the B-2 category for purposes of accompanying a long-term nonimmigrant, provided all standards for B-2 classification are satisfied. If the purpose is for something other than touring, such as to obtain medical treatment, the documentation would include letters from the attending physician and other indications of arrangements made with the U.S. clinics or hospitals.

Visits to friends or relatives will usually need to be supported with a letter of invitation from the U.S. host.  The purpose of the visit and the resources of the foreign national visitor must coincide: a six-month visit for touring may require more than several hundred dollars to undertake, and the B-2 applicant must be ready to match the stated purpose with adequate means of support, including personal resources, as demonstrated by bank statements or affidavits of support. 

Eligible activities under the B-2 visa program

B2 visitor visa for Parents must generally maintain a foreign residence and visit the United States to engage in a legitimate activity of pleasure, which includes recreational activities such as tourism, amusement, visits with friends or relatives, rest, medical treatment, and fraternal, social, or service activities. Specific activities under the B-2 visa program include: 

  1. Travel for tourism
  2. Vacation (holiday)
  3. Visit with relatives or friends.
  4. Medical treatment
  5. Participating in social events that are hosted by fraternal, social, or service organizations
  6. Participation by amateurs in musical, sports, or similar events or contests, if not being paid for participating.
  7. Enrollment in a short recreational course of study, not for credit toward a degree (for example, a two-day cooking class while on vacation)

You can reach out to our immigration lawyers in case you need any assistance in determining the eligibility requirements for a B2 visa for parents.

Status of B2 Visa for Parents of other nonimmigrants

In determining whether a partner, Parents (or other household members) seeking Status of B2 Visa For Parents to accompany a long-term nonimmigrant meets B-2 standards, the following guidelines should be kept in mind-

Extended stays in B2 Visa status may be considered temporary. As a result, the partner and parents (or another household member) may be living in the U.S. for an extended period with the long-term nonimmigrant is not a bar to B-2 status.

In determining whether the partner and parents (or another household member) has overcome the presumption of immigrant intent, officers should examine the partner’s ties abroad and the likelihood that they will stay in the U.S. unlawfully after the principal foreign national departs. Other factors include the strength of the relationship to the principal foreign national and the principal foreign national’s ties abroad. The DOS guidance emphasizes that the presumption of immigrant intent must be overcome in every B2 Visa for parents case even if the principal foreign national is not subject to the 214(b) presumption (e.g., E, H, and L nonimmigrants).

There are certain procedural hurdles for household members using the B-2 category in these circumstances. Specifically, the initial period of B-2 admission in most cases will not be sufficient to accommodate their planned stay. The maximum initial period of admission in B status is one year, and, in practice, B visitors are normally granted an initial period of admission of six months. As a result, B-2 household members, in most cases, will need to apply for one or more extensions to cover a long-term period stay in the United States. In this respect, B-2 status may be extended in six-month increments. To assure that B-2 household members are granted the maximum initial admission period, they should ask the immigration officer at the port of entry for a one-year stay when they apply for admission. They must also be careful to file for extensions on a timely basis to avoid falling out of status, particularly in light of the 3/10-year bar.

The Law Offices of Prashanthi Reddy, PLLC

Prashanthi Reddy


Talk to a Our Immigration Attorney & Lawyer

Get a Consultation

Other Type Of Travel Visa

Studying while in B-2 status

The immigration law clearly states that a B visitor cannot engage in studies. A few exceptions to that rule, however, have been carved out by the Immigration Service. First, a tourist in B2 Visa status can engage in a short course of study that is secondary to the primary purpose of his or her trip, e.g., sightseeing or visiting family members. Short course is a course that should not last more than a few months and should not include a degree-granting program such as a college or university would offer. State Department instructions state that a B-2 visa is appropriate for persons planning to study English, as long as the course is under 18 hours per week and is of “short duration.”

Persons seeking enrollment in a recreational school are also classified in the B-2 category since these schools are not eligible to classify their students in the F category. The B2 visitor who knows that he or she will engage in a short course of study incidental to his or her trip can obtain a visa on this basis from a U.S. consulate. The visa will include the notation: “Study incidental to visit; I-20 not required” (Form I-20 is the form issued by schools to indicate that a foreign national has been accepted for a course of study; it normally must be shown by the foreign national to the consulate and at the border).

B-2 status for “au pairs.”

In the past, it has not been uncommon for U.S. citizens to agree to have foreign nationals enter the United States as “au pairs”–working in their household or caring for young children in exchange for room, board, and the chance to experience and travel through the United States. Typically, the au pair is a young woman, often coming to the United States during a summer vacation from school. The au pair is considered by the Immigration Service to be working in the United States and is therefore barred from using the B-2 category.

Because some fairly common characteristics are the hallmark of the au pair situation, the Immigration Service has developed a “profile” that permits it to screen B-2 visitors for potential au pairs, and it is fairly successful at doing so. Until recently, no alternative category permitted entry to au pairs. However, many exchange visitor programs (the J-1 visa category) have been approved by the U.S. Information Agency to permit au pairs to enter the United States for temporary stays.

How We Can help you to get B2 Visa for Parents ?

At The Law Office of Prashanthi Reddy,PLLC! We are a legal firm specializing in B2 visa for parents. Our team is comprised of experienced attorneys who are dedicated to helping families reunite. We understand the importance of family and want to provide a smooth and stress-free experience during the visa application process. We strive to provide personalized service to make sure you are fully informed and comfortable throughout the entire process. Together, we will work to ensure the best outcome possible while providing you with the knowledge you need to make the right decisions. We are a team of dedicated attorneys and legal professionals specialized in helping our clients with their B2 Visitor Visa For Parents. We understand the complexities involved in the process, and we are committed to guiding our clients through each step of the way. As the premier legal firm in the area, we are committed to providing top-notch services with a friendly, personalized touch. We know that the process can be stressful, so we strive to make it as stress-free and straightforward as possible for our clients. Thank you for entrusting us with your case, we look forward to working with you.

At the Law Offices of Prashanthi Reddy, PLLC, we can advise you on what activities you can and cannot do on a B visa. In addition, we can help you file an extension of your visa and give you general advice on consular processing. You can Also Find latest Immigration news here
For more information, contact The Law Offices of Prashanthi Reddy at prashanthi@reddyesq.com, or call us at 212-354-1010.

FAQ (Frequently Asked Question and Answers about B2 Visa)

One can request the issuance of a B2 visa from USCIS for a maximum of 10 years but can only stay for a maximum period of six months during one single visit.

A B2 visa holder cannot work while in status as per USCIS guidelines as the visa is for tourism purposes.

A B2 visa would cost $160 as a USCIS fee that one must pay during the interview or the application filling. The actual amount might differ based on the nationality of the applicant.

Both B1 and B2 fall under the B-visa category, a specific kind of travel visa per US Immigration guidelines, but a difference lies in the purpose of a particular visa type. B1 is specifically for business trips, whereas B2 is tourism or travel.

A person with a B2 visa can enter the US multiple times during the visa validity period, subject to the condition that one can stay for a maximum of six months during one single visit.

Getting a B2 visa for your parents can be a complicated process, but it is possible with the right information and preparation. Read the steps necessary to obtain a B2 visa for your parents, including the required documents, the application process, and the interview.

Required Documents
The first step in obtaining a B2 visa for your parents is to gather the necessary documents. The most important document is a valid passport, which must be valid for at least six months after the intended date of entry into the United States. Other documents that may be required include proof of financial support, such as bank statements or tax returns, and evidence of ties to the home country, such as a birth certificate or marriage certificate.

Application Process
Once all of the required documents have been gathered, the next step is to complete the application process. This involves filling out an online form and submitting it to the U.S. Department of State. The form will ask for basic information about your parents, such as their name, date of birth, and address. It will also ask for information about their intended purpose of travel, such as whether they are visiting family or attending a business meeting. Once the form has been submitted, it will be reviewed by a consular officer and a decision will be made on whether or not to grant a visa.

The final step in obtaining a B2 visa for your parents is an interview with a consular officer. During this interview, the consular officer will ask questions about your parents’ background and their reasons for wanting to visit the United States. It is important to be honest and provide detailed answers to all questions. The consular officer will also review all of the documents that were submitted with the application and may ask additional questions based on those documents.

Obtaining a B2 visa for your parents can be a complicated process, but with the right information and preparation it is possible. The first step is to gather all of the required documents, followed by completing the online application form. Finally, an interview with a consular officer is necessary in order to make a final decision on whether or not to grant a visa. With careful preparation and attention to detail, it is possible to successfully obtain a B2 visa for your parents.

This Answer is here to provide you with helpful information, not legal advice. for Legal Advice Please contact Our Team 

The B2 visa is a type of non-immigrant visa issued by the United States government that allows foreign nationals to visit the United States for a temporary period of time. The length of time a parent can stay in the United States on a B2 visa depends on several factors, including the purpose of the visit, the country of origin, and the individual’s immigration status. This essay will discuss how long parents can stay in the United States on a B2 visa and the factors that affect the length of their stay.

Maximum Length of Stay

The maximum length of stay for a parent on a B2 visa is six months. This is the maximum amount of time a parent can stay in the United States without applying for an extension or changing their visa status. However, this does not mean that all parents will be able to stay for the full six months. The actual length of stay will depend on several factors, including the purpose of the visit and the individual’s immigration status. For example, if a parent is visiting the United States for business purposes, they may be able to stay for up to three months. On the other hand, if a parent is visiting the United States for pleasure, they may be able to stay for up to six months. Additionally, if a parent is from a country that has a visa waiver program with the United States, they may be able to stay for up to 90 days without a visa.

Extension of Stay

In some cases, it may be possible for a parent to extend their stay in the United States beyond the initial six-month period. This can be done by applying for an extension of stay with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The application must be filed before the initial six-month period expires and must include evidence that the parent has sufficient funds to support themselves during their extended stay. Additionally, if a parent is visiting the United States for business purposes, they may be able to apply for an employment authorization document (EAD). This document allows them to work in the United States for a specified period of time. The length of time that an EAD is valid for depends on the type of work that the parent will be doing and the country of origin.

Parents can stay in the United States on a B2 visa for up to six months. However, this length of stay may be affected by several factors, including the purpose of the visit and the individual’s immigration status. Additionally, it may be possible to extend the length of stay by applying for an extension or an employment authorization document. By understanding these factors and taking advantage of available options, parents can ensure that their visit to the United States is as enjoyable and productive as possible. This Answer is here to provide you with helpful information, not legal advice. for Legal Advice Please contact Our Team 

Yes, you can bring your parents to the United States on a B2 visa, which is a type of visitor visa for pleasure or medical treatment. The B2 visa allows your parents to enter the US temporarily for a visit with family or friends, or for medical treatment. However, it’s important to note that the B2 visa does not allow for work or study in the US and the length of stay is determined by US immigration authorities at the port of entry.

Yes, you can help your parents apply for a B1/B2 visa. The B1/B2 visa is a combination visa that allows individuals to enter the United States for both business (B1) and pleasure or medical treatment (B2) purposes. To apply for a B1/B2 visa, your parents will need to complete the visa application process, which typically involves an interview at a US embassy or consulate. During the interview, consular officers will assess their eligibility for a B1/B2 visa, including their ties to their home country and their plans for their visit to the US. It’s important to note that obtaining a B1/B2 visa does not guarantee entry into the United States. US immigration authorities at the port of entry have final discretion to determine the length of stay and purpose of the visit.

The time it takes for a B2 visa to be approved can vary depending on a number of factors, including the US embassy or consulate processing the application, the individual’s home country, and the individual’s personal circumstances. In general, the processing time for a B2 visa can range from a few days to several weeks. However, during peak travel seasons or times of high demand, processing times may be longer. It’s recommended to apply for a B2 visa well in advance of the intended travel date to allow sufficient time for the visa application process to be completed. Some applicants may also need to provide additional information or documentation, which can further delay the processing time.

Let’s talk and discuss

Book a Free Consultation


Call us (212) 354-1010