the H-1B allows dual intent, unlike the Student visa that does not allow you to have the intention to immigrate.
What Is H1-B
An H1B visa permits foreign nationals to engage in “specialized occupations” in the United States. A specialized occupation requires a bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience. Unlike the L1 Visa, which is valid for seven years, the H1-B visa remains valid for a maximum of six years. Although you can also apply for an extension beyond six years provided-
- At least 365 days have passed since the foreign national filed any labor certification application, Form ETA 750, required or used by the foreigner to attain EB immigrant status or an EB immigrant petition was filed.
- If the I-140 application is approved but the visa numbers are unavailable to file the I-485, the client will be granted a three-year extension.
In order to qualify as a speciality occupation the position must meet the following criteria:
Have a minimum entry requirement of a Bachelor’s or higher degree or its equivalent. The degree requirement for the job is common to the industry or the job is so complex or unique that it can be performed only by an individual with a degree. The employer normally requires a degree or its equivalent for the position.The nature of the specific duties is so specialized and complex that the knowledge required to perform the duties is usually associated with the attainment of a bachelor’s or higher degree. The Specialty occupation can be from any of the below disciplines but is not always restricted to:
- Scientific disciplines such as Mathematics, sociology, physical sciences
- Medical and healthcare
- Schooling & education
- Systems analysts
- Journalists and editors
Each year, only 65,000 H1-B numbers are allocated by the USCIS. An extra 20,000 H1-B visas are given to people with advanced academic qualifications from an accredited United States organization.H1-B visa users are entitled to switch jobs subject to fulfilling certain conditions. In addition, H1-B visa holders can apply for permanent residence. This is because the H-1B allows dual intent, unlike the Student visa that does not allow you to have the intention to immigrate.
List Of Required Documents?
An H1-B visa petition requires the submission of several documents.The list below is not exhaustive, and the documentation may vary depending on the facts of the case:
- A thorough job profile and description
- A photocopy of the CV of the foreign national
- Documentation or certificates, together with an educational evaluation
- Prior employers’ statements of reference (if applicable)
- Passport(s) with the biographical page(s) for the appellant and any relatives joining them
- A job description showing that a bachelor’s degree is required for the job
- Job listings for the relevant professional position
- Statements from professional associations in the Industry that a bachelor’s degree in a specific field is usually required for the job (if applicable)
- Employment Contract in writing or synopsis of mutual oral consent
- Federal tax returns
- Business plan
- Proof of licensing (if required)
- Status documents if the person is already in the U.S and Is filing a change of status or an extension.
Other Type Of Work Visa
Processing Time for H1-B Visas
H1-B non-immigrant Visa processing times might vary based on the service center you submit your application to and the type of processing service (Standard or Premium).
Adjudication of H1-B petitions usually take 4-5 months on the part of USCIS unless Premium Processing is requested.
How to Apply for an H1-B cap petition?
The entire process for an H1-B cap petition is divided into five steps.
Step 1: Register for an H1-B visa within the registration deadline
Step 2: If you are chosen in the lottery, you must file an H1-B petition
Step 3: Get approval from USCIS
Step 4: If overseas, apply for a visa
Step 5: Start working for a company or organization based in the US
Who Can Apply for an H1-B Visa?
Any US employer can apply for an H1-B visa. The US employer is referred to as a petitioner in this case. The foreign national is referred to as the beneficiary.A petitioner is required to:
- Issue an employment contract for the beneficiary
- Hold a legitimate employer and employee connection with the recipient
- Have a non speculative job offer that qualifies as a speciality occupation
Given the complexities of applying for an H1-B Visa, it is best for any foreign national to consult and, if needed, request assistance from an immigration attorney.Ever since its inception, the Law Offices of Prashanthi Reddy, PLLC, a NYC-based immigration law practice, has submitted many H1-B applications. As a result, our attorneys are well versed in H1-B cases. That’s the reason why we can foresee problems and provide appropriate advice at the right moment.
Because a lot of our work at the Law Offices of Prashanthi Reddy, PLLC, is employment-based immigration, we are in a unique position to advise our clients on best practices at the time of submitting H-1B cases.For more information contact The Law Offices of Prashanthi Reddy at email@example.com, or by calling 212-354-1010. Our Immigration Attorney Also Provide Immigration Services to Other U.S State As Well new York, Florida, New Jersey, Texas, and California .
H1B VISA – FAQ ( FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS )