✉ prashanthi@reddyesq.com   ☎ (212 ) 354-1010

✉ prashanthi@reddyesq.com   ☎ (212 ) 354-1010

Immigration Lawyer, Attorney & Law Firm in US
Ask Question
L1 Visa Attorney & Lawyers New York2023-10-02T05:54:06+00:00

L1 Visa

In order to get an L1 visa, the employee should have worked in the foreign entity for at least one year as a specialized knowledge worker, an executive, or a manager in the previous three years and should be sponsored to work in the same capacity for the U.S. entity.

What Is an L1 Visa

The L-1 visa is a work visa issued to professionals seeking employment in any U.S. branch or a subsidiary of a foreign company. It is different from the H-1B work visa in the sense that it applies explicitly to individuals relocating to the USA-based office of their current organization. The highest term of stay with this visa in the USA is seven years. While the L-1 visa is valid for seven years, it can be converted to permanent residency before this time.

Specialized knowledge L-1 visa, on the other hand, is only valid for five years. Also, you cannot convert it to a permanent residence. A person with specialized knowledge in the L-1 category could nonetheless seek permanent residency through other means.

L1 Visa And Foreign Employer

When it comes to the non-US employer, the foreign corporation should have at least one of the four relationship forms with the U.S. employer:

  • Sister company owned by the mutual parent company,
  • Affiliates retained by the corporation,
  • Subsidiary/parent, or
  • Headquarter/branch.

In order to get an L1 visa, the employee should have worked in the foreign entity for at least one year as a specialized knowledge worker, an executive, or a manager in the previous three years and should be sponsored to work in the same capacity for the U.S. entity. Therefore, to prove that the applicant has worked in the qualifying capacity for one year, the company should provide necessary evidence proving that they have had a professional engagement for at least one year.

List Of Required Documents for an L-1 petition

U.S. Company Documents

  1. Certificate of Incorporation;
  2. Share Certificates to show relationship between both companies;
  3. Organizational chart of personnel and departments. This organizational chart should show the beneficiary name and job title and number of people he will supervise. Also we need in a separate sheet names, job titles and qualifications of people the beneficiary will supervise.
  4. Letter from the US Company stating beneficiary’s job title, job duties in the USA, and the number of people the beneficiary will be supervising in the U.S.
  5. A business plan for the company, including existing personnel (details of the positions) and anticipated staffing;
  6. Repatriation of funds to parent company or wire transfer of funds from parent to US company evidencing initial investment.
  7. Company Lease and utility bills for office space and operations;
  8. All pages of latest three months Bank Statements;
  9. List of clients, copies of contracts, invoices and other documentation to show that the business is active;
  10. Most recent three years of tax returns & financial statements of the company;
  11. Brochure or Photos of the office;
  12. Bills of Lading and Airway bills if applicable.

Parent Company in Foreign County:

  1. Name of parent company, registration and Business license;
  2. Statement explaining the name of principals of the parent company and their exact shares;
  3. Share Certificates to show relationship between both companies;
  4. Copy of partnership deed (if applicable);
  5. Company brochure or product introduction;
  6. Organizational chart of the personnel and departments. This should include position held by the transferee; total number of workers he is supervising. Also we need in a separate sheet names, job titles and qualifications of people the beneficiary is supervising.
  7. Employment verification letter from parent company, which should mention beneficiary’s current Job Title, Salary and Job Duties, number of people he is supervising, dates of his Employment and job titles he has held to show his growth within the company, Reason you want him transferred to USA;
  8. Recent three years of Income tax filings for the past three years, balance sheets, profit/loss statements, cash flow reports;
  9. Copies of recent three months of bank statements;
  10. Payroll journals of the company for 3-6 months, showing the name of the beneficiary and other employees;
  11. Copy of the lease/sale deed of the premises & warehouses of the company;
  12. Documents of business transactions (invoice, contracts, bills of lading, letters of credit etc)

From the Beneficiary:

  1. All stamped pages of passport, 1-94 (if applicable) of the alien beneficiary who seeks to move to the United States;
  2. Exact dates of his employment and job titles he held;
  3. Paystubs for last one year;
  4. The proposed duties of the alien beneficiary with the US company;

Documents Needed to show Executive/Managerial Position of the Beneficiary

  1. Detailed duties identifying executive and managerial duties with percentage of each;
  2. Detailed duties and percentages of managerial or clerical duties of employees reporting to beneficiary
  3. Flow Chart or SOP (standard operating procedure document) showing the process and who is involved at each step
  4. To show managerial role, we would need emails showing that you are giving directives to your subordinates or they are asking you for direction or they are reporting to you, performance appraisal for all of them under your supervision, proof that you signed the employment or reliving letters, that you approved raise in salaries or bonuses. Leave letters etc.
  5. To show Executive role, proof that you prepared a policy document for appraisal by the Board of directors, signatures on important executive decision documents, summary of board of meetings showing that you played an executive role, if you prepared or signed off on the budget of the company, Any other policy decisions that you have taken, proof of the same.
The Law Offices of Prashanthi Reddy, PLLC

Prashanthi Reddy


Talk to a Our Immigration Attorney & Lawyer

Get a Consultation

Other Type Of Work Visa

How Long Does It Take To Get An L1 Visa?

The entire process of obtaining an L-1 visa can range from six months to a year. Therefore, it is recommended that if you intend to apply for an L-1 visa, you should start the entire application process at the earliest to avoid any last-minute hassle. 

How To Apply For An L-1 Visa?

Here’s a  guide to applying for an L-1 visa-

Step 1: Apply for a petition with USCIS or the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services with the help of Form I-129.

Step 2: Deposit documents demonstrating that the parent corporation in the United States and the foreign branch, parent, or subsidiary meet the qualifying criteria.

Step 3: Upon checking the documents, USCIS will issue approval of Form I-129 on the Notice of Action, Form I-797, which can then be used as the basis of an application by the individual while applying for a visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate.

Who Can Apply for an L-1 Visa?

In order to fit the eligibility criteria for an L1 visa, an employee should have spent at least one year of the previous three years working for an overseas branch office, affiliate, parent, or subsidiary of the U.S. company to which they are transferring. It is further essential that the individual has worked as a specialized knowledge worker, executive, or manager during this time.  

Additional Information 

Getting an L1 visa for working in the USA is a lengthy and complicated procedure. Therefore, one needs to:

  • Follow the above instructions and steps meticulously to get their L1 visa.
  • Read all the related documents with the utmost caution.
  • Follow the procedure thoroughly.

Considering the complicated visa application process, it’s always in the foreign national’s interest and the companies interest to get the guidance of an L1 Visa Attorney & Lawyer.

How An L1 Visa Attorney can Help You?

  • L1 visa attorneys can help you navigate the complex visa process.

  • An L1 visa attorney can help you determine if you qualify for an L1 visa.

  • An L1 visa attorney can help you gather the necessary documentation for your visa application.

  • An L1 visa attorney can help you prepare for your visa interview.

  • An L1 visa attorney can help you understand the requirements of the L1 visa.

  • An L1 visa attorney can help you understand the risks involved in the L1 visa process.

  • An L1 visa attorney can help you plan your travel to the United States.

  • An L1 visa attorney can help you find housing and employment in the United States.

  • An L1 visa attorney can help you adjust to life in the United States.

  • An L1 visa attorney can help you with any problems that may arise during your stay in the New York, United States.

At the Law Offices of Prashanthi Reddy, PLLC, an NYC immigration law firm, we have filed numerous L-1 petitions. Hence, we are very familiar with the kind of cases that the USCIS approves. As a result, we can anticipate difficulties and offer the right advice at the right time. To reach out to our immigration lawyers at the Law Offices of Prashanthi Reddy, PLLC, mail at prashanthi@reddyesq.com or call us at 212-354-1010. Our L1 Visa Attorney & Lawyer Also Provide Immigration Services to Other U.S State As Well New York, New Jersey, Texas, and  California .

Are You Looking for L1 Visa Attorney to Come to the US or Stay on a L1 Visa?

The Law Offices of Prashanthi Reddy, PLLC is a dedicated immigration law firm established in 2019 and based in the heart of Texas. We specialize in assisting individuals with the process of obtaining an L1 visa. Our experienced team of L1 Visa attorneys and staff are dedicated to providing the highest quality of legal services while striving to meet each client’s individual needs. We understand the complexities of immigration law and are well-equipped to guide our clients through the entire process of obtaining an L1 visa. We are committed to helping our clients understand the immigration system and their rights and responsibilities with regards to their immigration status. We pride ourselves in providing reliable, cost-effective, and proactive legal services to all of our clients.At the Law Offices of Prashanthi Reddy, PLLC, we are passionate about helping our clients make their immigration dreams come true. We understand the importance of your immigration journey and will make every effort to ensure that it is successful. Contact us today for a consultation about your L1 visa application!

how our L1 visa lawyer can help you?

The Law Offices of Prashanthi Reddy, PLLC is a full-service law firm dedicated to providing high-quality legal representation to individuals seeking immigration relief. With over 10 years of experience, our team of experienced of l1 Visa Lawyers are committed to delivering the most comprehensive immigration services to our clients. We specialize in all aspects of immigration law, including family-based visas, employment-based visas, removal defense, as well as appeals and motions for relief. Our attorneys strive to provide the highest standard of legal representation and work diligently to ensure our clients receive the best possible outcomes. We understand how complex and often overwhelming immigration law can be, and we are committed to always providing our clients with quality legal advice and personalized service.

At the Law Offices of Prashanthi Reddy, PLLC, we understand that every immigration case is unique and requires individual attention and strategic guidance. As a result, we take a personalized approach to each case, while providing unparalleled representation to our clients. With our dedicated approach, we are able to deliver the best possible outcomes in a timely and efficient manner. At the Law Offices of Prashanthi Reddy, PLLC, Our L1 Visa Lawyers are committed to providing our clients with top-notch Law representation and personalized service throughout their immigration journey.


The L1 visa is a specific kind of work visa for internal transfers within an organization; the primary criterion for a person eligible for an L1 visa is that they should fall under the category of a speciality occupation and have worked with the company as a manager or executive. A person seeking to enter the US using an L1 visa using internal transfer within a company should have at least worked with the organization for at least one year out of the last three years before filling out the application

USCIS issues an L1 visa for a maximum period of five years. If post expiry one needs to continue with the status, they can do it after one year by working with the company’s branch, affiliate, or parent in a foreign location.

Though the L1 visa is an excellent alternative to H1B, qualification guidelines are stricter. The sponsoring employer needs to convince the USCIS the person in consideration is a manager, executive or employee with specialized knowledge.

An employer can use two categories of L1 visas to transfer somebody to its US Office. L1-A is a category for executives or managers, and L1-B is for people in a speciality occupation; the transferred employee should have specialized knowledge in a particular field which is strategic and indispensable for the employer’s business function.

The main requirements for an L1 visa are that the applicant must have worked for the foreign company for at least one year in the past three years and must be coming to the US to work for a related company in a managerial, executive, or specialized knowledge capacity.

A basic visa filing fee is $325, but if there is premium processing required, there is an additional fee of $1225. Other than this, there is an extra cost of $500 called the Detection and Fraud prevention fee. In some exceptional circumstances, one might need to incur an additional charge of $2250.

Yes, an L1 holder can apply for a green card to obtain permanent residency while in status. There is a specific employment-based green category called EB-1C specifically for multinational executives and managers.

L1 and H1B visas; both offer equal opportunities to apply for a green card, but the difference only lies in the qualifying guidelines, so there is no question of one being good or bad.

Yes, an L1 visa holder can bring their spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 to the US on an L2 visa.

L1 visa holders can change jobs while in the US, but they will need to obtain a new L1 visa if the new job is with a different company.

Read Updated and latest L1 Visa

Let’s talk and discuss

Book a Free Consultation


Call us (212) 354-1010

Go to Top